Fastest Way To Get Rid of Sinus Infection
A sinus infection wake forest nc, or sinusitis, can cause symptoms such as pressure in your forehead, a runny nose, and generally make you not feel well. In most case, a sinus infection is resolved on its own within about seven to 10 days, simply by resting at home and taking care of yourself.
Managing Sinus Pressure and Pain At Home
Below are the top methods for the at-home treatment and management of sinus pain and inflammation. These tips can also aid in recovering from a sinus infection more quickly.
- Decongestant Spray: An over-the-counter nasal decongestant spray which contains salt water can aid in keeping the nasal passages moist, remove congestion and help treat inflammation. Some sprays, such as Afrin, are only allowed to be used up to three days. Use exceeding three days may cause a rebound or returning nasal congestion. Other types of nasal sprays, such as fluticasone, are more effective with continuous use.
- Get Rest: It is important to get plenty of rest in order to aid your body in fighting off infection. Rest can also speed up your recovery time. While sleeping, it can be helpful to prop yourself up with pillows for easier breathing.
- Humidity. Place a humidifier or vaporizer in the room where you sleep to increase the moisture in the air and aid in reducing congestion. Things such as dry air, tobacco smoke and chlorinated water can all irritate the mucus membranes located in the nose and create an environment which is well suited for sinus infections.
- Hydration: Be sure to drink plenty of clear fluids, such as water, Gatorade and juice, which aid in thinning out the mucus. Beverages which contain caffeine or alcohol should be avoided as they can lead to dehydration.
- Medications: Take over-the-counter medicine such as decongestants, antihistamines and pain relievers to help with the pain and pressure. Follow up with your doctor before taking any medication if you have any health issues or take other types of prescription medication. Decongestants and other over-the-counter cold medication should never be given to children under 4 years old. For young children, nasal suction is the method to help with congestion. This solution also aids in reducing post-nasal drip and lung irritation.
- Nasal Irrigation: Using a system such as a Neti pot, a salt and water rinse treatment, flush out your nasal passages. Nasal irrigation has been a proven sinus treatment method which has been used for centuries. Some patients even use a Neti pot daily or weekly to maintain healthy and clear sinuses. It is important to only use distilled water.
- Spicy Food: Consuming spicy foods can aid in clearing out the nasal passages. Things such as hot peppers, hot sauce, horseradish or wasabi can be added to your regular diet to turn up the heat.
- Steam: Inhale steam from a bowl of warm water or take a hot, steamy shower. A warm, wet towel can also be placed on the face, which should be followed by a cool towel to help minimize the pain and open up the nasal passages.
- Triggers. Be familiar with what acts as a trigger for a cold or sinus infection and prepare accordingly. Take an antihistamine before allergy season and use a Neti pot right away if you experience any cold symptoms.
- Vitamin C: Be sure to increase the amount of vitamin C you are consuming. This may aid in fighting off sinus infections more quickly, reduce inflammation and help relieve the sinus infection or cold symptoms.
If the sinus infection symptoms do not improve using the above at-home treatments, or in the event the symptoms are lasting for more than seven to 10 days, you should schedule an appointment with a doctor. In addition, patients who experience frequent or reoccurring sinus infections should follow up with an ear, nose and throat doctor to discuss possible long-term treatment options.