How Do I Cure an Ear Infection?
An ear infection wake forest nc or earache can be uncomfortable, but they do not always require medication or antibiotics. Most ear infections will clear up without treatment within a week or two. There are several home remedies that can be used to treat an earache but in some cases, the underlying cause may require treatment in order to alleviate the ear infection.
The following are 11 earache treatments patients can use at home using over the counter medications and home remedies.
- Over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers: OTC pain relievers, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Advil), are suggested by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) for controlling pain or fever associated with an ear infection. They can be used in conjunction with antibiotics but dosing instructions should be followed closely particularly with children.
- Warm or cold compresses: Long used for pain relief, ice packs, heating pads, or damp washcloths can also be used to for earaches. Place the warm compress or ice pack over the ear for 10 minutes and repeat as desired.
- Olive oil: Considered a folk remedy rather than holding scientific evidence, drops of warm olive oil in placed in the ear canal is believed to soothe ear pain. The AAP considers the practice safe and could be moderately beneficial.
- Naturopathic drops: Made of herbal extracts, naturopathic drops can be purchased online or in certain drug stores.
- Chiropractic treatments: Some patients that undergo chiropractic treatments find that the procedures help ease ear pain in addition to back pain. While no long-term clinical studies have proved the efficacy of chiropractic treatments for earaches, a 1996 study of 46 children 5 years of age and younger showed significant improvement in 93 percent of participants.
- Modified sleeping position: While some sleeping positions can aggravate an ear infection, others can relieve the pain. If suffering from an ear infection, sleeping with the affected ear raised rather than down towards the pillow, is advisable as this can aid in ear drainage.
- Neck exercises: Pressure in the ear canal can lead so some earaches and some neck exercises could be useful in relieving the pressure. Sessions of slowly rotating the neck from side to side can help alleviate discomfort in the ears.
- Ginger: Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, ginger can be a natural remedy for soothing earache pain. While it should not be placed directly in the ear, ginger juice can be applied around the outer ear canal.
- Garlic: With pain-relieving and antibiotic properties, garlic can be applied to the ear canal to combat earaches.
- Hydrogen peroxide: Another natural remedy for earaches used for years, several drops of hydrogen peroxide can be placed into an affected ear. After letting it sit for several minutes, rinse the ear with clean water.
- Distraction: Sometimes taking the mind off an ear infection is the only treatment method available. Particularly useful with children, distracting them with their favorite movie, a new coloring book or toy, a favorite snack, or other fun activity, can help take their mind off the discomfort of an earache.
More on Ear Infections : Types of Ear Infections